[BUG] Getting path to program binary sometimes fails

Mike Gelfand Mike.Gelfand at LogicNow.com
Fri Dec 5 15:52:54 UTC 2014

On Dec 5, 2014, at 6:19 PM, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Friday, December 05, 2014 12:01:15 PM Mike Gelfand wrote:
>> John,
>>
>> Sorry for late reply.

>>> Is this over NFS?  NFS is more aggressive than local filesystems in
>>> purging
>>> name cache entries because there are inherent races in NFS with certain
>>> fileservers (ones that don't use sub-second timestamps), so by default
>>> entries always expire after about a minute.  You can change that via the
>>> 'nametimeo' mount option (takes a count in seconds).
>>
>> No, not NFS but ZFS. Could that be an issue? The FreeBSD 8 machine I
>> mentioned before has UFS.
>>
>> Also, as you can see from the video I recorded (and from the code I
>> provided), path resolution succeeds and fails within fractions of a second
>> after process startup.
>
> Are you seeing vnodes being actively recycled?  In particular, do you see
> vfs.numvnodes close to kern.maxvnodes?  You can try raising kern.maxvnodes.
> If vfs.numvnodes grows up to the limit then as long as you can stomach the RAM
> of having more vnodes around that would increase the changes of your paths
> remaining valid.

When the call works, sysctl returns:
    vfs.numvnodes: 59638
    kern.maxvnodes: 204723
The times it doesn't, the output is:
    vfs.numvnodes: 60017
    kern.maxvnodes: 204723
I've selected maximum numbers. Monitoring was made with
    while sysctl vfs.numvnodes kern.maxvnodes; do sleep 0.1; done

So it seems that's not related, correct? 60K is much less than 200K.