Slow nfsd write performance, tweaks needed

Mark Schouten mark at tuxis.nl
Thu Dec 4 12:26:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

> The box is stable, but performs terribly. Surely, I'm doing something wrong,
> but I would like some tips and tricks to speed things up.

I thought it would be nice to update you on this issue.

I performed an upgrade to 10.1 on the productionbox, which helped in my test-setup. But it didn't in my productionsetup. However, it did show another issue:

da4p1     ONLINE       0     0     0  block size: 512B configured, 4096B native

Which I now fixed with a new pool and ashift=12. That fixed a lot. I can now write to the box, filling the gigabit with NFS traffic and not showing an enormous delay in replies. I'm also quite sure that the testbox had ashift=12...

All other changes did not influence performance much.

Now, there's only one issue left: Enabling cache-devices activates a memoryleak (I think)...

--
Kerio Operator in de Cloud? https://www.kerioindecloud.nl/
Mark Schouten  | Tuxis Internet Engineering
T: 0318 200208 | info at tuxis.nl