Opinions thought regarding: NEWCONS, rc.conf and rc.d/syscons

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 19 08:28:02 UTC 2014

As you all probably know, 10.1 will ship with both SYSCONS and NEWCONS.

I'm working keymap files for NEWCONS (translated from those in SYSCONS),
and they'll need to be named differently than before.

The SYSCONF keymap names in rc.conf will not work for NEWCONS.  They
include an encoding scheme in their name, while NEWCONS universally
uses Unicode.

There are a few points that still need to be considered for 10.1:

a) Is rc.d/syscons still an appropriate name when using NEWCONS?
   (I'd leave it unchanged, but I thought I'd ask ...)

b) Do we need to identify NEWCONS vs. SYSCONS in the messages printed
   by that rc script? (I guess this might be a good idea.)

c) Do we expect to warn the user when he has a SYSCONS keymap name
   specified in the rc.conf "keymap" variable, while using NEWCONS?
   (This might be a good idea, at least when the default is to use
   NEWCONS and the user might not be aware of the change.)

d) Do we want to provide the user with an information regarding the
   name of the SYSCONS keymap configured, to ease the transition?
   (Could be done ...)

e) Do we want the rc script to translate the SYSCONS keymap name
   to its new form? (This might be good for people using foreign
   keyboards, if their password uses characters located at other
   positions than on the default keymap, that will be used if no
   valid "keymap" is specified.)

f) It might be good to introduce "keymap_sc" (and/or "keymap_vt")
   as a value used in preference to "keymap" if defined and the
   corresponding console driver is detected. (An alternativ to
   e) that is easier to implement and still allows to have one
   rc.conf file that covers both SYSCONS and NEWCONS.)

I'd appreciate opinios and ideas how to proceed with these
questions.

Regards, STefan