Priotizing pages to be swapped-out

Sushanth Rai sushanth_rai at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 18:12:14 UTC 2014

I looked at these but they don't quite match what I'm hoping for. Basically, in our system we soft partition the memory among applications based on their expected usage. Sometimes, applications can consume bit more than expected and we end up swapping, which is okay. Short of mlock'ing the memory, I was looking for a way where an application can advise the kernel that if it has to swap-out, consider these set of pages after everything else has been looked at. The hope is that some not-so-important application's pages get swapped and that would meet the paging requirements with touching the pages of "privileged" application.

Thanks,
Sushanth