MITM attacks against portsnap and freebsd-update

Julian Elischer julian at freebsd.org
Sat Apr 12 01:55:16 UTC 2014

On 4/12/14, 5:20 AM, Anton Afanasyev wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Matthew Rezny <matthew at reztek.cz> wrote:
>
>> The biggest effort would be adding rsync to base, but being that we have
>> svn(lite) in base it should not be a big deal to add rsync.
>>
> I may be too naive and/or just not understand things as well as those who
> do move code into base, so excuse my ignorance, but why was svnlite moved
> into base, and why even consider moving rsync into base?
> Sure, it is nice if the base includes everything needed to allow
> development of it; it is also a must to be able to update and build your
> ports. But why include tools that do this, rather than a bootstrap for
> installing those tools?
because historically, a base freebsd distribution is all you need to
rebuild a base FreeBSD system from "CHECKED IN SOURCES".

lot s of people  have their environments set up assuming this is true.
(me included). It's also a worry abotu wether one has ht eright
version of SVN
or whether you  need some special version (we did at one stage)...
this takes all
the qustions out of it.  I know .. Git-lovers are upset..