Assembly continues to be used in the development of FreeBSD?

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Tue Apr 8 02:44:26 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Mon, 7 Apr 2014 21:16:50 +0300
Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos <jorgeassembler1 at outlook.com> wrote:

> According to the book "Complete and Total C" by Herbert Schildt, the
> general rule is not to use Assembly because it creates too many
> problems.

I would say that this is wrong. The only reason for me not to use
assemblers is the portability. Proper written C code can be compiled on
x86, ARM, SPARC, POWER or Itanium and still results in a usable
program. Assembler programs are written for a single CPU type. I might
be even a problem to switch between 32 and 64 bits on an x86 CPU.

Erich