Complete online course in assembly language of Randall Hyde's is really course in assembly language?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sat Apr 5 02:24:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 06:39:09PM -0400, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:

> On 4/4/2014 4:44 PM, Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos wrote:
>
> Complete online course in assembly language of Randall Hyde's is really
> course in assembly language?
> Is written in FreeBSD Developers' Handbook:
> "This chapter does not explain the basics of assembly language.There are
> enough resources about that (for a complete online course in assembly
> language, see Randall Hyde's Art of Assembly Language;"
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/x86.html
>
> The biggest gripe I have with this book is that it teaches ?High Level
> Assembly?, essentially an entirely different language from assembly, built
> using assembly macros. It?s great maybe if you have no programming
> experience what so ever?although even then I don?t know why you would learn
> HLA instead of a real language.
> Learning HLA instead of assembly is frustrating for learn the true Assembly.

Here in spite of the indication that this post was probably
just a troll hit.

That makes it good.
The onlyt reasonable way to program in assembly is to make
significant use of macros and once a reasonable set of macros
are developed, one should no longer be using machine code except
in some unusual circumstances.

////jerry