loader code to zpool.cache loading

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Wed Sep 25 20:13:42 UTC 2013

Dear collegaues,

one of my friends tonight called me to help him with recovering his remote(both
to me and him, heh) server with 8.0 or something with ZFS-on root (yes, I'd
said he was brave enough) having troubles with loading modules by loader.

During investigation it has been clear we need to load /boot/kernel.old/kernel
with corresponding modules (including ZFS), but we failed to achieve this,
namely: zpool.cache is not loading again, leading to "can't mount root" error.

I checked the sources quickly and now I'm a bit puzzled: I see

zpool_cache_load="YES"
zpool_cache_type="/boot/zfs/zpool.cache"
zpool_cache_name="/boot/zfs/zpool.cache"

in loader.conf (actually, default one)

but can't find references to it anywhere in /sys/boot -- what did I missed?

Thanks!

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]