About Transparent Superpages and Non-transparent superapges

Sebastian Kuzminsky S.Kuzminsky at F5.com
Mon Sep 23 21:30:04 UTC 2013

On Sep 23, 2013, at 15:24 , Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On 20 September 2013 08:20, Sebastian Kuzminsky <S.Kuzminsky at f5.com> wrote:
>
> It's transparent for the kernel: all of UMA and kmem_malloc()/kmem_free() is backed by 1 gig superpages.
>
> .. not entirely true, as I've found out at work. :(

Can you expand on this, Adrian?

Did you compile & boot the github branch i pointed to, and run in to a situation where kmem_malloc() returned memory not backed by 1 gig pages, on hardware that supports it?

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky