Zfs encryption property for freebsd 8.3

Alan Somers asomers at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 3 14:53:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 6:22 AM, Florent Peterschmitt
<florent at peterschmitt.fr> wrote:
> Le 03/09/2013 14:14, Emre Çamalan a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> I want to encrypt some disk on my server with Zfs encryption property but it is not available.
>
> "That would require ZFS v30. As far as I am aware Oracle has not
> released the code under CDDL."

Oracle's ZFS encryption is crap anyway.  It works at the filesystem
level, not the pool level, so a lot of metadata is in plaintext; I
don't remember how much exactly.  It's also highly vulnerable to
watermarking attacks.

> From http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=30036
>
> So you can use ZFS pools on GELI volumes, it can be a good start. I not
> play with it.

GELI is full-disk encryption.  It's far superior to ZFS encryption.