Stacking lots of IP's on a single box - any 'gotchas'?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Wed Jul 31 09:37:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

We've got a number of boxes we'd like to consolidate - this could mean
upward of 1,500 IP's on a single box (9.1 amd64).

Last time we did anything like this we hit at issue at around 900 (ntpd
'binds' by default to all available IP's - I think we had a workaround for
that).

But is there any hard limit we're likely to encounter putting so many IP's
on a single machine? - Are there any limits that would likely need tuning
to support that many IP's?

Thanks,

-Karl