possible changes from Panzura

Eric van Gyzen eric at vangyzen.net
Wed Jul 10 20:16:58 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 13:16, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I'm going through all the internal changes my current employer has made, categorizing them
> into  "proprietary" and "can feed back to FreeBSD".
>
> I will probably send out emails like this several times seeking feedback on whether a particular patch is considered useful or not..
> these are verse 8.0 at the moment.  (this is part of our effort to upgrade)
>
> My first  candidates are:
>
> -----internal commit message----
> Add support for dumping kernel dumps in addition to text dumps for
> kernel panics. Add a new version of savecore to the tree, which knows
> how to retrieve and save both dumps. Control the new dump behavior via the
> debug.kerneldump_requested sysctl - disabling this wil go back to the
> old text dump-only behavior.

I wonder which would be more useful:  this, or just dumping the full
dump and using crashinfo to create a text summary after reboot.  Of
course, crashinfo could be enhanced to show anything it's currently
missing (relative to the text dump).  This would have the advantage of
doing less stuff at dump time.  Yours would have the advantage that it
exists and works.  :)  Thoughts?

>  Have savecore be more optimistic about
> saving compressed cores - always try, and only bail if we actually run
> out of space. The pessimistic "only try saving if we've got enough free
> space to handle the entire dump uncompressed" made it too easy for us to
> run out of space on our /var/crash partition

Yes, please.  I've run into this occasionally, but it never annoyed me
enough to fix it.  Procrastination pays off yet again.  ;)

Eric