possible changes from Panzura

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Wed Jul 10 18:39:29 UTC 2013

I'm going through all the internal changes my current employer has made, categorizing them
into  "proprietary" and "can feed back to FreeBSD".

I will probably send out emails like this several times seeking feedback on whether a particular patch is considered useful or not..
these are verse 8.0 at the moment.  (this is part of our effort to upgrade)

My first  candidates are:

-----internal commit message----
Add support for dumping kernel dumps in addition to text dumps for
kernel panics. Add a new version of savecore to the tree, which knows
how to retrieve and save both dumps. Control the new dump behavior via the
debug.kerneldump_requested sysctl - disabling this wil go back to the
old text dump-only behavior.

 Have savecore be more optimistic about
saving compressed cores - always try, and only bail if we actually run
out of space. The pessimistic "only try saving if we've got enough free
space to handle the entire dump uncompressed" made it too easy for us to
run out of space on our /var/crash partition
-------

Julian