Announcing: nuOS 0.0.9.1b1 - a whole NEW FreeBSD distro, NOT a fork

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Mon Jul 8 00:12:58 UTC 2013

On Jul 7, 2013, at 2:58 PM, Chad J. Milios wrote:
[snip]

>            /etc is now a ZFS dataset of its own
>                How did we do it?
>                    Decades of conventional wisdom says /etc must be on /.
>                    Check it out, discuss the whys and the trade-offs.

Well, I see in nu_install on GitHub how you're doing it:

You added:

	init_script="/boot/init.sh"

to /boot/loader.conf, wich -- among other things -- does these two interesting things (variable names changed to make things more clear):

zfs rollback -r $zfs/swap/host at blank
NOTE: $zfs is equal to $( /bin/kenv vfs.root.mountfrom ) minus the leading "zfs:"

and

zfs mount $zpool/etc
NOTE: $zpool is equal to $zfs from above, leading up to (but not including) the first slash (/).

Cute. Have to say I wasn't aware of the init_script feature of loader.conf(5). Not bad.
--
Devin

NOTE: Paring down on the cross-posting (bad OP). Posting only to -hackers@ (as it seems to be the right place to post disseminating analysis).