[SPAM] Announcing: nuOS 0.0.9.1b1 - a whole NEW FreeBSD distro, NOT a fork

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Sun Jul 7 22:09:25 UTC 2013

On 07/ 8/13 04:58 AM, Chad J. Milios wrote:

<snip>

> Outline of features:
>
> Extends plain old FreeBSD 9.1 (RELEASE or STABLE) and maintains total
> compatibility
> We seek to remain nimble
>     Expect a production-ready seal of approval to lag behind releases
> by no more than a week or two
>         and prebuilt images and packages
>         e.g. releases like 9.2 and 10.0, et al
>             Someone should be able to build it and use all applicable
> features on 8.4 with ease
>                 we simply haven't the time or inclination to even try
> Default full ZFS filesystem layout, completely legacy-free
>     Boot from ZFS, boot to ZFS
>         If you'd like use all 100.0% of all your drives for one large
> zpool
>         Use one large zpool for all of your
>             filesystems
>             block volumes
>             alternate boot environments, including one called "rescue"
> which is included
>     NO partitions, not some tiny /, not even a /boot
>         Just ZFS datasets in their infinite flexibility
>             /etc is now a ZFS dataset of its own
>                 How did we do it?
>                     Decades of conventional wisdom says /etc must be
> on /.
>                     Check it out, discuss the whys and the trade-offs.
> nu_jail - provision all sorts of jails
>     No guesswork
>     Yet no cookie-cutter limitations
>     Clean-room jails provisioned almost instantly
>     ZFS clone of /etc and /var give you almost no storage overhead
>     nullfs and/or unionfs mounts of /, /usr, /usr/local give you
> almost no memory overhead
>         Run 1,000 jails and 10,000 Apache instances
>             they safely access the same executable memory pages
>             they securely know not of one-another's existence
>     Advanced intra-host networking with VIMAGE kernel by default,
> simplified
>     Made for developers who want robustness, power and flexibility
> streamlined for
>         Unlimited development, testing, staging and production
> environments
>     Uses all of the new jail and vnet features of FreeBSD 9.1
>         We cleaned out all of the cruft left over from earlier versions
<trolling side comment>
     omg you've created Solaris
</trolling side comment>
If you're going to spam commercial stuff with absolutely no technically
interesting details - please keep it brief at the least.

Generally people will be curious about
What are you actually adding to the ISO which FBSD-current can't do? If
it's not upstream already - will it be contributed upstream?