cpufreq not working as module on i386/amd64

Jia-Shiun Li jiashiun at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 21:03:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:
> I can not bless this change, but I won't argue against it either.
>
> My opinion is still that OS should advertise to ACPI the capabilities that it
> actually has not those that it potentially may have.  So I prefer the status
> quo.  I think that this is a minor issue and cpufreq should just be in kernel,
> and that's it.

May I know your concern? My understanding is that ACPI may export
different interfaces according to _PDC evaluation. I think though ACPI
may export more than actually used, as long as nobody is playing with
the additional interfaces, there should be no side effects. Or these
interfaces may have dependencies or interactions I am not aware of?

Flexibility is good as long as it does not introduce too much
complexicity. It could have benefit of less compile time, smaller
size, less boot up time, etc.

Regards,
Jia-Shiun.