Need advice on sys5 shm and zero copy sockets

gary mazzaferro garym at oedata.com
Thu Feb 7 20:22:15 UTC 2013

Hi,

I was told to post this question here (Ken Merry), it would be a good
place to get some help. I'm not sure this is doable without a kernel
module, which I don't want to add.

I'll explain what I'm attempting..

I'm designing a high speed rest motor for cloud execution environment.

1) I'd like to eliminate copy from the tcp stack to the application(s).

2) I'm also sharing the buffers across processes and jails. So I'd
like to preserve the zero-copy in a msg pipe/unix socket

3) Some buffers will go to disk file systems.

Wish list:
4) I'd like it to work with sctp because I like it for local  networking :)

5) I'd like to provision memory pools on a per
application/connection/ip port basis.

Ultimate Goal:
6) Additionally, I'm injecting "code" from a foreign process into the
workflow of another process (state machine). The connection between
them will be a signal and shared state information.

I'm assuming item (6) is a separate issue, but it may impact the direction..

I've tried shm with zero copy sockets with linux and it just will not work !!

BTW, I'm returning to freebsd after far too many years

cheers,
gary