Mbuf memory handling

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 6 14:41:55 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, February 06, 2013 4:50:39 am Lino Sanfilippo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to implement a device driver for a NIC which stores received data into chunks within
> a page (>=4k) in host memory. One page shall be used for multiple packets and freed
> after all mbufs linked to that page have been processed. So I would like to know what is the recommended way
> to handle this in FreeBSD? Any hints are very appreciated.

I think you can get what you want by allocating M_JUMBOP mbuf clusters for
your receive buffers.  When you want to split out a packet, allocate a new
packet header mbuf and use m_split() to let it take over the rest of the 4k
buffer and pass the original mbuf up to if_input() as the new packet.  The
new mbufs you attach to the cluster via m_split() will all hold a reference
on the backing cluster and it won't be freed until all the mbufs are freed.

--
John Baldwin