GSOC: Qt front-ends

Justin Edward Muniz justin.muniz at maine.edu
Sun Apr 21 20:11:22 UTC 2013

Hello everyone once again,

     I decided to split this from my previous thread because the nature of
my questions has changed. I benefited from the last thread, and I am
grateful to those who responded to it.

     For me Google Summer of Code is a big opportunity, and my interest in
contributing to the open source community is fairly limited to FreeBSD for
many reasons. I know that my application may have a better chance of being
approved if I have a mentor to help me with my endeavors.

     I currently have three project ideas in mind; however I need to
understand which one would be the most beneficial, and try to find a
mentor, before I create my proposal. Eventually I would like to develop
each application and release them along with a meta-package that comprises
of them all. For now, I need to focus on just one of the three.

     Originally I was interested in developing a Qt front-end for
freebsd-update; indeed most of my research has been for that project.
However, I am also interested in furthering kports -- which seems to be
notoriously buggy, has broken package functionality, and is a mammoth of an
application; the last development for kports was in 2009. I also am
interested in developing a graphical application to customize the FreeBSD
kernel.

     I have compiled a list of features that I would like to concentrate on
for each project. Some of the features are far less important than others,
so my actual application may omit some of them, or consider them optional.
If it would be appropriate I will certainly share my lists, but since the
lists are long I don't want to spam the mailing-list. I am new to this
community after all!

     If anyone is interested in discussing these possibilities or just one
of them in particular, I will greatly appreciate any advice, insight,
concerns, criticism, or ideas. Ideally I am also looking to talk with
anyone who might be interested in mentoring my Google Summer of Code
project.

Justin Muniz