GSOC 2013 project " Kernel Size Reduction for Embedded System "

Alfred Perlstein bright at mu.org
Tue Apr 9 00:35:10 UTC 2013

On 4/8/13 4:10 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Your idea is interesting, but it doesn't fix the underlying problem -
> there's just too much code. :(

If you were to API'ify some of the more basic things such as fget,
fdrop, filedesc stuff you could potentially swap out the systems for
simpler (albeit less efficient) algorithms, the cost there may be slow
smp performance, or maybe not allowing threads?

What we really need is someone to pin down those parts of code that
smaller systems may not need and provide compromise when we remove them.

Other ideas are simple like for instance removing certain syscalls (for
example, more recent ones such as openat) and features such as unix
descriptor passing.

However, until a bunch of embedded folks come forward and state what
they are really willing to sacrifice, then we won't really have anything
to go on, and it will be guessing at what will work for a space that not
all of us are familiar with.

So I'm hoping some people can make the tough call to give direction
here, otherwise nothing good will come of it.

Has anyone actually done this?  Or maybe compared against another
embedded OS?

-Alfred