gpart is junk

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Sep 28 09:28:48 UTC 2012

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:19:12 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> >> but still not anywhere as readable as bsdlabel.
> > I did specifically say 'machine readable'. The XML is well-formed,
> XML is stupid. everything you can do with XML can be better described
> using "ancient" style text format

This statement is meaningless. XML *is* an '"ancient" style text
format' - only with a (very large) collection of standards describing
the format, and an (even larger) collection of software for processing
text in that format. And "better" is a judgment call.

For instance, it's hard for me to consider any text format that
doesn't support both external validation and autocompletion in popular
editors as "better" than XML.

Of course, those do require a schema of some kind, and I can't seem to
find one for the document in kern.geom.confxml.

     <mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org>		http://www.mired.org/
Independent Software developer/SCM consultant, email for more information.