FreeBSD 8.0 suddenly freezing

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Fri Sep 21 02:18:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:21:59 -0600
Charles R Martin <crmartin at corp.sgi.com> wrote:

> We have a web host installation using FreeBSD 8.0, Tomcat, and Java.
> We ship many copies of this, and haven't changed the OS load in
> several months.
>
> In the last 72 hours, we've had two different systems freeze; they
> don't apparently recognize any interrupts, they won't respond to
> ping, and they require a powercycle to reboot.  We can't easily
> generate an NMI on these boxes.
>
> No crashdumps were generated.
>
> Just on the off chance, does this sound like a familiar -- and
> preferably soluble -- problem?

I have had 8.0 to 8.3 running on a machine without a single crash, hang
or whatever except of problems with sound. A dmesg might will tell some
people of problematic hardware.

As you write on top of this that you have shipped many copies of it,
are the problems happening with the same or at least identical hardware?

Erich