[RFC] Add *.orig/*.rej to svn:ignore in src?

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Mon Sep 17 21:26:09 UTC 2012

On 17 September 2012 17:20, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Chris Rees <crees at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> On 16 September 2012 10:11, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>         I noticed that we have a handful of patterns currently ignored in svn:ignore (at least at the top-level… the lower levels don't appear to be set in any particular manner):
>>>
>>> $ svn propget svn:ignore
>>> _.tinderbox.*
>>> _.amd64.*
>>> _.arm.*
>>> _.i386.*
>>> _.ia64.*
>>> _.mips.*
>>> _.pc98.*
>>> _.powerpc.*
>>> _.sparc64.*
>>> _.sun4v.*
>>>
>>> $ svn info | grep URL:
>>>
>>>         I was wondering if *.orig and *.rej should be added to the list as well to avoid checking in patch `artifact` files?
>>
>> Do you have an example where this has happened?
>
>     I don't offhand; it was just a hypothetical issue that I
> considered might occur in the future if someone wasn't careful.

+1 to including this. I imagine its relatively easy to make the
mistake and its useful to have in the global ignores. While here
should we include *.core and *.o too? [0]

[0] my personal ignore file is quite large, but these might be generally useful

--
Eitan Adler