Providing a default graphical environment on FreeBSD

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:20:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Zhihao Yuan <lichray at gmail.com> wrote:
> I definitely agree with this. Sun has a book, "UNIX Essentials
> featuring the Solaris...", and GUI takes a big part in the book. A
> default GUI is essential to a modern UNIX. FreeBSD can no longer
> regard GUI as a third-party bonus.

This is according to *your* use cases though. There are many of us who
do not put X - or any graphical environment - on our FreeBSD servers.

If FreeBSD did not regard a GUI as an optional 3rd party component,
that would mean bringing Xorg, and a specified default WM into base -
potentially even dbus and hald as well. IMO that would be a waste of
time and resources, as both Xorg and most WM have rapid development
changes - just look at how many issues are brought up on x11@ when
there are new upgrades of Xorg available.

As well as this, Xorg versions would have to remain relatively stable
during minor releases, meaning if you DO want X11, then you are being
hamstrung by requiring it in base.

Status quo for me please.

Cheers

Tom