Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 12 20:33:33 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:34:02 pm Mark Felder wrote:
> Hi guys I'm excitedly posting this from my phone. Good news for you guys,
bad news for us -- we were building HA storage on vmware for a client and can
now replicate the crash on demand. I'll be posting details when I get home to
my PC tonight, but this hopefully is enough to replicate the crash for any
curious followers:

> ESXi 5
> 9 or 9-STABLE
> HAST
> 1 cpu is fine
> 1GB of ram
> UFS SUJ on HAST device
> No special loader.conf, sysctl, etc
> No need for VMWare tools
> Run Bonnie++ on the HAST device
>
> We can get the crash to happen on the first run of bonnie++ right now. I'll
post the exact specs and precise command run in the PR. We found an old post
from 2004 when we looked up the process state obtained from CTRL+T -- flswai
-- which describes the symptoms nearly perfectly.

> Hopefully this gets us closer to a fix...

Sorry, I just now saw this.  :(

Are you still seeing this, and if so can you get a crashdump?  Also, I'm
curious if you only see this with SUJ or if plain UFS+SU works fine?

--
John Baldwin