How to do benchmark test for my new kernel.

Erik Cederstrand erik at cederstrand.dk
Mon Sep 3 09:31:30 UTC 2012

Den 03/09/2012 kl. 09.25 skrev Junior White <efiish at gmail.com>:

> hi all,
>   I build a new kernel and install it, but don't known how to test the my
> new kernel's performance.
>   I have read the Regressin and Performance Testing Guide in developer's
> handbook. But where is
> the test program is, and how do i invoke them?

The handbook is deliberately vague on this point because choosing a benchmark program requires you to think about what you want to optimize, i.e. which type of workload your system will be handling.

If you mostly want to play around and try out different optimizations, I would suggest to install some of the benchmark programs in /usr/ports/benchmarks/. Try /usr/ports/benchmarks/unixbench/ for a set of micro-benchmarks.

Kind regards,
Erik