Threaded 6.4 code compiled under 9.0 uses a lot more memory?..

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 31 18:52:07 UTC 2012

On 31 October 2012 11:20, Ian Lepore <freebsd at damnhippie.dyndns.org> wrote:
> I think there are some things we should be investigating about the
> growth of memory usage.  I just noticed this:
>
> Freebsd 6.2 on an arm processor:
>
>   369 root 1   8  -88  1752K   748K nanslp   3:00  0.00% watchdogd
>
> Freebsd 10.0 on the same system:
>
>   367 root 1 -52   r0 10232K 10160K nanslp  10:04  0.00% watchdogd
>
> The 10.0 system is built with MALLOC_PRODUCTION (without that defined
> the system won't even boot, it only has 64MB of ram).  That's a crazy
> amount of growth for a relatively simple daemon.

Would you please, _please_ do some digging into this?

It's quite possible there's something in the libraries that are
allocating some memory upon first call invocation - yes, that's
jemalloc, but it could also be other things like stdio.

We really, really need to fix this userland bloat; it's terribly
ridiculous at this point. There's no reason a watchdog daemon should
take 10megabytes of RAM.

Thanks,

Adrian