GSoC Project: Automated Kernel Crash Reporting System - Discussion

Andrew Duane aduane at juniper.net
Wed May 16 12:35:14 UTC 2012

I'm interested in the server side of this project, as it's something we've been working on here. We are developing an internal tool for our own crash reporting that does analysis of backtraces and provides a pretty accurate synopsis of what happened. I have a set of heuristics that can find various panic and trap issues across different CPU architectures, and walk up the trace to the real culprit. This includes, for example, that if memset traps the real problem was memset's caller, not memset itself.

We then use this information to be able to search for duplicate bug reports before opening new ones, and can help assign to the right team based on some lists of file and/or routine patterns. There is also a "hint" facility to extend the crash dump data collection for different kinds of crashes (e.g. memory exhaustion, lock issues, etc.)

Andrew Duane
Juniper Networks
+1 978-589-0551 (o)
+1 603-770-7088 (m)