Ways to promote FreeBSD?

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Tue May 1 06:34:04 UTC 2012

On Apr 30, 2012, at 10:09 PM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> 	Advertising that it exists and is used is more important than saying "x sucks, use y instead". This is the tone I was getting from the previous response and this is what I discourage as well as others on the list.
>
> It was just an example. I don't use FreeBSD because Oracle Solaris sucks but because it works best for me. No other unix not only is as fast but allows so easy tuning like compiling own kernel and configuring things.
>
> What do you prefer - few files in /etc, like rc.conf to configure almost everything in base system (+starting installed ports), or thousands of files in modern "linux distro" or oracle solaris?
>
> Sorry but when i HAD to deal with linux i just deleted most of /etc and write my own /etc/rc.

Joe user, students, etc really don't care about the underlying system as long as the GUIs obscure this. OSX is a prime example of this (the OSX CLI has sucked for a long time). Only sysadmin and CLI power users care how things like this are organized. I think this is the usability boat that's been missed for a while on *nix.

> Solaris 11 was just an example of overadvertised things that are just useless.  Linux is "trendy" and quality is second thing, but it had to be everywhere including things that should not have OS at all, like VoIP gateway.

Sun isn't Oracle, so I don't expect them to put forth a decent general purpose OS offering. As far as Linux is concerned, in some ways it's good Linux has become a niche OS, and in some ways it's bad, but you can't take back the fact that it is what it is right now.

Thanks,
-Garrett