Replacing BIND with unbound (Was: Re: Pull in upstream before 9.1 code freeze?)

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Mon Jul 9 10:13:38 UTC 2012

On 7/9/12 12:44 AM, Dan Lukes wrote:
> On 07/08/12 23:55, Doug Barton:
>> On 07/08/2012 07:41, Dan Lukes wrote:
>> Sorry, you're not understanding what is being proposed. Specifically
>> you're confusing the system stub resolver (the bit that's compiled into
>> libc, and used by binaries) and the resolving name server (BIND). No one
>> is proposing to replace the stub.
>

> libc stub resolver is BIND code based, so I assumed that arguments
> against BIND apply to it as well.
>
> I'm happy it's not true.
>
> In my humble opinion, no resolving name server need to be part of base
> at all. We have no DHCP, VPN, RADIUS, WWW, ... server in the base as well.
>

> Thank you for clarifying.
>
> Dan

Whereas you don't need a DHCP, VPN, RADIUS or WWW server to do *anything
at all* with your newly installed BSD machine, you sort of need a DNS
resolver...

I for one am not going to use a 3rd party resolver, even if only to
download the ports' source code for BIND, so I'm happy it's provided in
the base.