Training wheels for commandline (was Re: Pull in upstream before 9.1 code freeze?)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jul 6 17:10:07 UTC 2012

On Jul 6, 2012, at 10:46 AM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> The system should be optimized for new users by default. Whether this
>> means enabling or disabling a feature is feature-specific.
>>
> with such attitude it will not take long to turn FreeBSD to useless thing, not really different from linux or windows, and about as useful

Actually, systems should be optimized to be most useful for the largest number of users.  I tend to agree with the sentiment expressed elsewhere in this thread: it should be OFF by default in the base, but we should encourage distributions that cater to new and/or users of other platforms to turn a feature like this on.

I'm neutral on the error message, but changing it to say 'fred: Command not found. See pkg_which(8).' or something like that is easy.  On the other hand, we tend to not do that elsewhere for error messages.  This is a fairly easy thing to do to trim fat off this problem, which may be exceptional enough to call for an exception to our usual practice.

Warner