BUG: 9.0 stage 2 boot (/boot/boot)

rank1seeker at gmail.com rank1seeker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 20:09:09 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
To: rank1seeker at gmail.com
Cc: hackers at freebsd.org, "Roman Divacky" <rdivacky at freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:23:59 -0500
Subject: Re: BUG: 9.0 stage 2 boot (/boot/boot)

> On Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:41:48 am rank1seeker at gmail.com wrote:
> > > Do you only see the "No " message?  Do you see the '/boot.config: /loader'
> > > message?  (Do you have RBX_QUIET enabled perhaps? (-q))  Do you get the actual
> > > boot2 prompt at all?
> >
> > I don't have RBX_QUIET enabled nor any other flags
> >
> > Let the pic tell a story:
> > http://www.starforce.biz/stage2boot.jpg
>
> Ahh, this is helpful.  You do see the '/boot.config: /loader' message.

I've already explained that, numerous times (RE-typing ...)
Image is STILL valid for this latest patch.

> > It is also valid for your latest patch
> >

> > > Hmm, I think the problem is that 'opts' has garbage instead of being
> > > initialized to zero.
> > >
> > > Try this (also at www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/boot2_opts.patch):
> >

> > Patch eliminates possible error, of manual "intervention"
> > That is, a perfectly valid patch being classified as invalid.
>
> I have no idea what you mean here.  However, it seems you don't have junk in
> your 'opts' variable anyway.

What I meant was that I won't manually(edit file) apply patch, but via 'patch' tool/bin.

> Hmm, you could try adding some more debugging to boot2.c to see exactly what
> is failing.  For example, does the first call to 'parse()' fail and clear
> autoboot?

I don't do nor understand c code.

> Oh, garbage in cmd[] could be bad.  We might read beyond the end of the file.
> Try http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/boot2_cmd.patch
>
> --
> John Baldwin
>

> ...  Ah, 9.0 doesn't have the
> /boot/config support.  Try www.freebsd.org/~jhb/patches/boot2_cmd_9.0.patch
>
> --
> John Baldwin

How could it silently loose documented functionality?
It still doesn't work,

Domagoj Smolčić