8 to 9: Kernel modularization -- did it change?

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:49:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 06:44, Tom Evans wrote:
>> Whatever happened to POLA? This change surprised me, wasn't mentioned
>> in /usr/src/UPDATING,
>
> You're supposed to compare your existing kernel config to the new
> GENERIC every time you do a major version upgrade. That would have made
> the change quite obvious.

"Dumb stupid user" - great argument Doug.

As I am just a dumb stupid user, all I looked at were the kernel
release notes for 9:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/relnotes-detailed.html#KERNEL

Where none of this is mentioned. At all.

I guess as this only affects dumb stupid users, its not a big deal.

Tom