8 to 9: Kernel modularization -- did it change?

Alex Goncharov alex-goncharov at comcast.net
Fri Feb 17 21:00:46 UTC 2012

,--- You/matt (Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:45:35 -0800) ----*
| Given that there's apparently little penalty for module vs. kernel,
| I can see not including it by default in GENERIC.  I do have a
| laptop that won't make console tones unless snd_hda is NOT loaded,
| which is odd, but never worth debugging.
|
| Thinking bigger picture (beyond sound), would it make sense to keep
| GENERIC very minimal, but provide an extensive loader.conf with a
| default install...so most things worked, but were loaded as modules?

For me as a user, that would be a much preferable approach, instilled
long ago by Linux. I don't like unused stuff around, and I like to
understand what I am using.

Some build kernel confutation parameters "minimum modules", "medium
modules", "maximum modules" might be utilized.  I would be using
"medium" or most likely "maximum", leaving me with a minimal kernel.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov at comcast.net --