How to diagnose system freezes?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Mon Aug 27 22:02:26 UTC 2012

On 08/27/2012 13:04, Dieter BSD wrote:
> Have you found a way to trigger the bug on demand?
>
> Since you suspect the nvidia-driver-285.05.09, try some other
> driver, and do whatever triggers the bug and see if you get the freeze.

No, I didn't find any way to trigger the problem on purpose.
295.71 driver (current version) doesn't work right away after start but
doesn't freeze OS.
Older 285.05.09 version appears to work fine for a long while (1-2
days), then freezes OS.
I am pretty sure anybody will see the problem if they try this version
of driver with 9400 GT card.

> If you can demonstrate that the various nvidia drivers are broken
> in various ways, submit a problem report to whoever wrote the drivers
> (Nvidia presumably). If Nvidia supports their products, then they
> will fix their drivers. If they don't support their products,
> why would you want to reward them by buying another nvidia card?

I did send the bug report to NVidia's address
freebsd-gfx-bugs at nvidia.com. So far no response.
I am not sure how such one way, secretive, PR handling works in general
for any product. So not sure how NVidia can manage it. No way to track
the issue with NVidia.

Yuri