How to Expose Chip-level Ethernet Statistics?

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 5 01:29:26 UTC 2012

On Aug 4, 2012, at 12:51 PM, Ian Lepore wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 12:21 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>> I believe that some of the issues I'm having with this
>> Ethernet driver might be easier to diagnose if I could
>> expose the chip-level statistics counters (especially queue
>> overrun counts).
>>
>> Is there a standard way to do this?
>>

> I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but have a look at
> src/tools/tools/ifinfo, and find some examples of drivers that fill in
> that info by grepping for ifmib_iso_8802_3.
>
> (I really know nothing about this stuff, except that your request
> triggered a memory that the atmel if_ate driver gathers some stats that
> I've not seen in most other drivers.)

Thanks, Ian!  That's almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Only tricky point:  I don't immediately see where the
standard MIB allows me to run a function when the sysctl
query runs (which will be necessary if I want to expose the
on-chip counters).  That might lead me to use a separate
sysctl tree for this.

I'll also take at the atmel if_ate driver….

Tim