How to Expose Chip-level Ethernet Statistics?

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 4 19:21:32 UTC 2012

I believe that some of the issues I'm having with this
Ethernet driver might be easier to diagnose if I could
expose the chip-level statistics counters (especially queue
overrun counts).

Is there a standard way to do this?

I've looked at systat, netstat, and ifconfig but haven't
yet found a standard tool that queries this sort of
information.  (If I could find that, I could figure out
which ioctl it used…)

Pointers appreciated…  In particular, if there's another
Ethernet driver that does this well, I can use that for a
reference.

Tim