kernel panic on free in FreeBSD 7.2

Filippo Sironi filippo.sironi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:18:35 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

I have an odd problem regarding memory.
The (slightly) modified kernel of FreeBSD 7.2 I'm using panics with this error: "panic: smp_tlb_shootdown: interrupts disabled" upon calling free() on three out of four memory buffers I allocate using malloc() in M_TEMP. Unfortunately no information the position of the instruction pointer are given, however, I isolated the problem using a set of old fashioned printf() calls.
The faulty code is activated either by a system call I added or by the exit function (on thread exit).

The problem doesn't show if the virtual machine I'm using is configured with a single processor.

Any suggestions?

Filippo