8.2R i386 bassed md root, doesn't like all machines

rank1seeker at gmail.com rank1seeker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:43:33 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark Tinguely <marktinguely at gmail.com>
To: rank1seeker at gmail.com
Cc: hackers at freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 08:54:25 -0500
Subject: Re: 8.2R i386 bassed md root, doesn't like all machines

> On 9/1/2011 8:17 AM, rank1seeker at gmail.com wrote:
> > Works excellent!
> > I boot it from USB stick.
> >
> > Now I added ~150 MB of ports to it.
> >  >From that point on, it doesn't boot on all machines.
> >
> > Booting 2 times in a row on laptop with 4 gb ram:
> > http://www.starforce.biz/md_root_1.jpg
> > http://www.starforce.biz/md_root_2.jpg
> >
> > Without ports, it did booted fine!
> >
> > Then I plug it in desktop with 2 GB of ram and booted it and it works!
> > I've did it again, just to be sure.
> >
> > Back to my laptop and same fail again.
> >

> > Domagoj Smolčić
> >

> This must be a 32 bit i386 kernel.
>
>  From the vm_thread_new() error messages, your kernel virtual memory map
> is depleted.
>
> The OS uses KVA for a physical page attribute table. Therefore the 4GB
> machine will use more KVA than a 2GB. Apparently this difference is a
> enough to cause you problems.
>
> Either increase your KVA (KVA_PAGES setting in your kernel configuration
> file; see sys/i386/include/pmap.h look for values) or decrease your KVA
> use (memory drive?).

I see. It worked.
Yes it is 8.2 i386, as it is the only that has NKPT kernel option.
For other archs, I would have to edit src code.

What would be the formula, to set the KVA_PAGES to, if I know the size of MD(in Mb), so it would work on all machines, regardled of RAM amount (for i386, all less then 4 GB)

Domagoj Smolčič