Does anyone use nscd?

Michael Bushkov bushman at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 11 08:32:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM,  <perryh at pluto.rain.com> wrote:
> Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On 10/10/2011 11:55, David Brodbeck wrote:
>> > Is there any reason to cache negative hits?
>>
>> It's very important for DNS since there are a fairly large number
>> of misbehaving applications that don't stop querying until they
>> get some kind of answer.
>
> Would this need be sufficiently covered if negative cache timeout
> were set to, say, 1/4 of a second?  That should be short enough
> to cover virtually any instance in which a missing entry is added
> manually and the new entry then needs to be found.

You can actually change negative caching timeout as well as turn it
off completely. There's negative-time-to-live option in nscd.conf (see
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=nscd.conf). Unfortunately it
accepts only integer number of seconds, so 1/4 of a second is
impossible. But you can turn negative caching off completely by
setting negative-time-to-live to 0.