Does anyone use nscd?

Michael Bushkov realbushman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 17:32:56 UTC 2011

Hi,
Disclaimer: I've written the nscd utility, so I can be a bit biased.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:
> I've never heard of the utility until you mentioned it.
>
> I'd nuke it, since really there are more popular alternatives like Redis
> and Memcached in the ports tree that most people will reach for first.

I think you're mixing 2 different things there. nscd is integrated
with nsswitch and allows you to cache different kinds of system data
(groups, users, etc). IIRC utilities like memcached and redis lack
this integration and I don't know any way of hooking them into
nsswitch. They're actually just caching backends and you need
additional code to make them work with nsswitch.

Cheers,
Michael