NUMA Support is there in FreeBSD.

mdf at FreeBSD.org mdf at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 3 16:31:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 7:55 AM, satish kondapalli <nitw.satish at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am new to FreeBSD, I just want know whether FreeBSD supports NUMA.
> If FreeBSD supports NUMA what are the kernel API to allocate memory?
> is there any example driver or any driver which is using the NUMA API?
>
> please provide some inputs...

The kernel is NUMA-aware (at least for x86), and memory is allocated
round-robin amongst the memory domains.  There are not yet any KPIs
for allocating memory in a specific NUMA domain, nor for binding
specific threads / processes to get their memory local to a bound cpu
instead of round robin.

There have been several discussions but no one has taken the lead and
proposed some KPIs yet.  At $WORK the round-robin is sufficient to get
consistent performance numbers and we have not yet started any
experimentation with binding specific threads to either CPU or memory.

Cheers,
matthew