easy way to determine if a stream or fd is seekable

Alexander Best arundel at freebsd.org
Fri Nov 18 20:53:26 UTC 2011

On Fri Nov 18 11, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> >> IIRC some tape drives can seek, while others cannot.
> >> Vague memories that it is supposed to be possible to put a
> >> filesystem on a DECtape and mount the filesystem.
> >
> > or how about the following:
> >
> > 1) if the file argument we're seeking on is a tape drive, just do a regular
> >   seek operation.
> > 2) afterwards use ftell() to verify that the seek REALLY happend. if it didn't,
> >   return -1 and set errno = EBADF.
>
> ftell() can't tell whether the seek really happened or not.
> All it can do is ask the kernel, and the kernel doesn't know.
>
> Here is my current understanding:
>
> When you call lseek(), the kernel just stores the requested
> offset in the file descriptor.  lseek() always succeeds because
> storing the requested offset in the file descriptor always succeeds.
> (Except that the kernel specially checks if the file descriptor
> is a pipe.)
>
> ftell() just obtains the data from the file descriptor.
> So it always succeeds and always returns the data from
> the previous seek request, regardless of whether that seek
> actually did anything.
>
> With the next read or write request, the device driver may inspect the
> offset information in the file descriptor.  Or it can ignore
> it.  Almost all tape device drivers ignore it.  Filesystems
> uniformly support it.  Disk drivers uniformly support it.
> Other drivers vary considerably.
>
> In short:  No, there is no "easy way" to determine if an
> arbitrary stream or fd is seekable.  If you try to create
> a function that determines this, be certain to include
> "Don't Know" as a possible return value.

well it really depends what the goal is. it appears fixing fseek() for all
cases is impossible then. however from a pragmatic point of view:

why does a user have to wait for a command such as hd(1) or dd(1) working on
files such as /dev/zero, /dev/null, /dev/(u)random or even /dev/ada* (only
hd(1) -- dd(1) supports seeking here) for ages, although it could suceed in
less than a second?

the fact is: users care for speed and freebsd is slower than linux and openbsd
in these cases. users aren't interested in the fact that lseek() won't work
with tapes. most of them have probably never seen one (me included).

if we return an error from within lseek() whenever lseek() was fired at a tape
drive, wouldn't that cover 99% of all the possible cases?

cheers.
alex