Porting FreeBSD to Raspberry Pi

Nate Dobbs misconfiguration at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 02:05:46 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org>wrote:

> On Thursday,  3 November 2011 at 21:05:54 -0400, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org>
> wrote:
> processor;

> >> Clearly price is an issue for this device.  What's so bad about ARM11
> >> that it shouldn't be used?
> >>
> > If you read my original comment, I did point out the $25 price tag was
> > pretty much the only interesting thing. Now, what it has been designed
> > for, multimedia, is going to be handled by a closed-source binary blob
> > without datasheet, so let me turn back the question: what do you
> > expect doing with it ?
>
> That's not turning back the question; that's a separate question.  But
> it's a good one.  I don't really see it as a multimedia device.  My
> interest would be in little embedded agents in different parts of the
> house, for things like measuring temperatures.  I'm sure lots of other
> applications will come to mind.
>
> And yes, I'll probably use the supplied Linux port.  But if a FreeBSD
> alternative becomes available, I'd certainly prefer that.
>
> Greg
> --
> Sent from my desktop computer
> Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers.
> This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft MUA reports
> problems, please read http://tinyurl.com/broken-mua

I agree with groggy, something I'd personally use it for is a small SSH
server to allow a pinhole into my home network. It would serve as a very
good replacement for the mac mini that's sitting in my DMZ simply handling
connections for my SSH tunnel so I can bypass the proxy at work.

Power savings would be significant and it would be plenty powerful to
handle this task. A small webcam server comes to mind as well; there could
be plenty of useful things I could think of outside the realm of
multimedia.

JMHO

--
Cheers,