Porting FreeBSD to Raspberry Pi

Aleksandr Rybalko ray at freebsd.org
Thu Nov 3 19:29:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 11:12:35 -0400
Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray at freebsd.org>
> wrote:

> > Hi Lars,
> >
> > I seen info about Raspberry Pi, this is very nice hardware.
> >
> Are you kidding ?

Every time when i see "Mail From: Arnaud Lacombe" i have bad feeling,
I'm alone with that feeling?

Sorry Arnaud, now I really kidding. :)
Please, stop broadcast demotivation for peoples to not do
something. This is your opinion, and we respect your opinion. But as
many hackers already said: hackers don't doing something what is modern
or required by market, hackers doing things that they like.

> ARM11 is a 10 year old core, not much to be really proud with. The
> only interesting thing about the Pi is its price tag, but as you point
> out, if we don't have datasheets upfront, it's not going to be much
> than a $25 paper-weight.

i486 CPU - released 22 years ago, but many peoples found Soekris as very
useful device.
MIPS R24K - 8 years old, but it widely used in SOHO embedded systems.

> Btw, do FreeBSD provide any KPI for hardware video "accelerator" ?
> AFAIK, we do not even have such framework for crypto accelerator, so I
> serious doubt there is any for video :/

We have some limitations to not implement that?