Porting FreeBSD to Raspberry Pi

Arnaud Lacombe lacombar at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 15:12:37 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:22:22 +0100
> Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> wrote:
>
>>> Hi Hackers,
>>>
>>> maybe you've heard of the upcoming Raspberry Pi, a credit card sized
>>> ARM computer which is about to get sold for 25$ - 35$ from december
>>> on.
>>>
>>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/302
>>>
>>> Hardware details: http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard#Hardware_Details
>>>
>>> The first charge will be 10,000 pieces, so there's a fair chance that
>>> one can actually buy a board.
>>>
>>> If someone is willing to port FreeBSD to the Raspberry, I'd try to
>>> get one of the boards and send it to the porter.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Lars
>
> Hi Lars,
>
> I seen info about Raspberry Pi, this is very nice hardware.

Are you kidding ?

ARM11 is a 10 year old core, not much to be really proud with. The
only interesting thing about the Pi is its price tag, but as you point
out, if we don't have datasheets upfront, it's not going to be much
than a $25 paper-weight.

Btw, do FreeBSD provide any KPI for hardware video "accelerator" ?
AFAIK, we do not even have such framework for crypto accelerator, so I
serious doubt there is any for video :/

 - Arnaud