tar has deficient error handling. send-pr fix sent 31 Jan 2011

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Mon Jun 27 10:59:28 UTC 2011

Hi,
Reference:

Tim Kientzle wrote:
> Thanks for the reminder Julian.
>
> I've just committed a fix to trunk that I'd appreciate if you could look at.
>
> > Might be nice if someone else would read through tar.
>
> More eyes are always better!  I'd especially appreciate help
> improving the test suite for tar.  I've put a lot of work into
> the test suite for libarchive, but the tar front-end has seen
> less effort in this area.

> Cheers,
>
> Tim
>
> On Jun 23, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>
> > FreeBSD tar has deficient error handling.  I sent a fix 31 Jan 2011
> > 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=154407
> > Please commit the fix or write & commit a better fix.
> >
> > As error codes ignored, I wonder if other poor coding may lurk in tar.
> > Might be nice if someone else would read through tar.
> >
> > ports/ : Tar allows some errors in ports pkg-list to go un-noticed.
> >  Using make package, tar fails to see errors, fails to return error
> >  to make, some pkg-list not checked properly & accumulate errors,
> >  A bunch of errors will probably show up when tar is fixed, the
> >  more the longer we do nothing.  ( I can't remember which pkg-list
> >  are broken, I've not kept note, The solution is to read tar &
> >  commit a fix to tar ASAP)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Julian

Thanks Tim, I will look & get back to you.

Re test suite: Maybe you can add something to check for errors not
caught by original tar + `cd ports/www/apache13 ; make package` (
Files not found, tar didn't notice. I guess a macro with pkg-plist
was corrupting paths fed to tar )

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.