A style proposal for referring to upper-level directories in Makefiles

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Fri Jul 29 14:00:54 UTC 2011

On 29.07.2011 03:27, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> This will make it even harder for people who try to compile our
> bits on alien systems without bmake.
Bits referring to multiple directories at once? Using a make flavor, that
already supports .CURDIR, but not .CURDIR:H? Do such things even exist?

Personally, when I need to build a sizable BSD program on another system, I
begin with building bmake (NetBSD's pkgsrc project helps with that). Or, if it
is not a big program, I just create a GNUmakefile from scratch -- gmake is
omnipresent these days.

> I am not sure if that is a concern we should care about.

I don't think, we should either...

    -mi