HTT vs SMT in x86 SMP topology reporting

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 28 09:49:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> Can anybody explain to me why our _x86_ SMP topology discovery and reporting
> code sometimes reports "HTT" and sometimes "SMT"? As in FreeBSD/SMP: %d
> package(s) x %d core(s) x %d HTT threads vs FreeBSD/SMP: %d package(s) x %d
> core(s) x %d SMT threads
>
> As I understand, and quoting Wikipedia (I know, I know), SMT stands for
> simultaneous multithreading and is a generic term for a particular kind of
> hardware multithreading:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_multithreading
>
> The only known (to me) implementation of SMT for x86 is Intel's
> Hyper-Threading Technology aka HTT aka HT Technology aka hyperthreading:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading
> http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-hyper-threading-technology-your-questions-answered/?wapkw=%28Intel+Hyper-Threading+Technology%29

Several MIPS platforms we run on support SMT.  Typically this means a set of
"weaker" threads sharing a single core, usually context switching as a result
of memory access stalls in other threads, and perhaps sharing particularly
expensive CPU features, such as a TLB.  They sometimes come with
high-performance message-passing facilities between threads, or even between
cores, to supplement shared memory and IPIs.

It may be that HTT is, among other things, a trademark of Intel.

Robert