Freebsd-7.4 + std gcc 4.2.1 fails to honour -march=i586

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jul 21 17:38:15 UTC 2011

On Jul 20, 2011, at 9:13 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
> I think this is a harder problem than you expect.  It is not just the crt files
> that matter, but every library.  You would need CPU-specific versions of every
> static library on the build system, and possibly you would want to do this for
> all shared libraries too.

gcc has support for what it calls multilib.  It was originally for MIPS where there were 3 ABIs that needed to be supported simultaneously (o32, n32 and n64).  However, it is general enough to adapt to your needs, I think.

The harder part is fixing things like the ports and such to that as well...  The medium hard part is fixing buildworld to generate all this stuff in the right places.

Warner